Friday, September 11, 2009

Wow...what a scary day it was...

Well, today is September 11...a day that has gone down in the History books as one of the most devasting days our country has ever had. I wanted to blog about what happened on this day, so I will never forget and so that my children can read about my experience. Although...I don't think it is possible to ever forget exactly what you were doing when the devastation occurred......


It was around 7 am in the morning and I was getting ready to go to class. At the time, I was 22-years-old, living with Chris in our first apt, and attending the UTA School of Education. I have always drank coffee and watched the news while getting ready in the morning, and that is exactly what I was doing. I remember a Breaking News story coming on saying that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center buildings in NYC. I thought to myself, "Oh my gosh, that pilot must have fallen asleep or something. How do you miss a building that big?" I went to get Chris because I knew he would want to watch this story. I thought it was so sad because lots of innocent people where going to die from this mistake. So, we watched. And then, all of the sudden...another plane crashed into the OTHER World Trade Center building. Chris and I were in shock. At that point, the News reporters started speculating that this was the act of terrorists. They determined that both of these planes where bound for Los Angelos, but had more than likely been hijacked.

Then it hit me! Oh my gosh!! My mom was supposed to be leaving that morning for a trip...TO LOS ANGELOS!!!!!! She was and still is a flight attendant for American Airlines. I frantically started calling her. She wouldn't answer...wouldn't answer...wouldn't answer. A little while passed by, and by this time, they had determined that the 2 planes had been hijacked by terrorists and purposefully crashed. Finally, my mother called me back. THANK YOU GOD! She was like, "What's wrong? Do you know of something going on because we have been grounded on the runway and are not aloud to take off." The only thing the pilot had told them is that there was a "National Emergency" and that they would not be taking off. So...I broke the news to her and she told the other flight attendants. Of course, they were all devastated and very scared. As I was talking to her, I watched as the 3rd hijacked plane crashed into the Pentagon. And then the worst part...the 2 World Trade Center buildings collapsed, killing just about everyone in sight of them. She really couldn't believe what she was hearing...as I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Sooo...they sat on the runway for hours waiting for approval to exit the plane, and when they finally got off, the employees where directed to go to the blood bank to give blood. My mother did just that...and returned home. I continued watching the coverage (which lasted for weeks), and needless to say...did not go to class.

I remember it being one of the saddest days I had ever experienced. It was also one of the most frightened I have ever been. Until I heard my mom's voice, I just knew she was in one of those hijacked planes. Luckily...they never even had a chance to take off because it all happened right before take-off. It was so weird...it was like the world stopped. Every single tv show stopped, and there was nothing but coverage for atleast a week or two. Air travel completely stopped for so long...I don't even remember how long...I think like a month or two. Everyone...and I mean everyone was just so sad. Thousands of people lost their lives due to these heartless terrorists. To this day, I still can't believe it happened.

Two months after this happened, my mom and I made a trip to NYC. As crazy as it sounds, the buildings were still smoking. And the smell...the smell was horrific. And as much as I hate to say it...it was the smell of death. It STILL smelled like burning bodies. There were devastated people everywhere frantically searching for their loved ones. I mean like hundreds and hundreds of crying people. Visiting during this time was definitely a life-changing experience. I am very thankful that my mom gave me the opportunity to experience history in the making.

Today is the 8th anniversary of this terrible day. As I was driving Landon to school this morning, I drove past a police station where all of the officers where outside having a moment of silence...heads bowed, hands on heart. It was very humbling to see. I just pray that the families of the loved ones who were killed have moved on from this and are in a better place than the way I witnessed them that day in New York.

I took some pictures of the weekend we spent in NYC. I'm gonna try to dig them up and post a few. So stay tuned...

3 comments:

Binford Family said...

That was the worst day I have ever experienced, I was sick for 3 years about it anytime I got on a plane. I hope you findthe pictures. Love you.

Brittany said...

Crying.....I am officially crying. Good post Ash. Thanks for writing that. We all need to remember.

Cara said...

Wow! That post was not only moving, but defintely well written. You need to post that somewhere...in fact..I might post this on my blog with a link to yours. It reminds me of that song by Alan Jackson, Where were you when the world stopped turning..on that september day.." It still plagues me how this could have happened. Love you bunches and thanks for my call yesterday.. miss you!