Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sweet Baby Sisters!


I finally got some pictures of my luvbugs with their eyes open. These little lovies like to sleep sleep sleep, so I'm glad I had my camera handy. It seems like everytime they are awake and alert, my camera is in my purse (which isn't aloud in the NICU). 

Well, they are getting closer and closer to their homecoming. The doctor told me that 36 weekers are all different. Some are born with the suck/swallow/breath reflex and some are not. Allie and Emily obviously were not born with it, so that is what the NICU nurses, doctors, Chris, and I are working on with them. When they started bottle-feeding on Thursday, they weren't all that great at it yet. They would only drink a few milliliters. Then they drank about 12-15 milliliters on Friday, 15-30 or so yesterday, and today they drank about 40 milliliters. They must be able to drink 55 milliliters in one feeding every 3 hours for 24 hours straight...and then it's time to come home! So...we are getting very close! They have been in there 6 days, and the doctor said to plan on 7-14 days, so we'll just have to wait and see. Fortunately, I feel okay with them being there. I thought I would be a nervous wreck, but knowing that they are completely healthy makes it so much easier. When you think about Neonatel ICU, it's kinda scary and you tend to think of sickness. But...that isn't the case. Most all of the babies are completely healthy, just born early. So, anyhow...I'm fine with them getting this extra attention, but I can't wait to get those precious babies home with me! Plus, their big brother wants to meet them. He asks where they are everyday :)

Enjoy the cute pictures. They still have a feeding tube down their nose (the thinnest tube ever...don't even think they can feel it). They have to eat 55 ml of breastmilk and/or formula, so whatever they don't finish from the bottle is put down the tube. Emily's medical tape is clear, so you can't see it very well. Allie's tape is white, so it shows up a lot more. Aren't they cute? What do yall think...do they look alike? They still haven't told us if they are fraternal or identical.

Sisters! Emily on left...Allie on right.



Emily Grace 

Allie Kathryn

7 comments:

Heather said...

what great pics! You have to have your camera handy at any given moment! I dont think we ever visited the NICU w/o a camera...even when I was still in the hospital and especially when we went to visit Katelyn!! The nurses problaby thought we were a little camera happy!!! Glad to hear they're doing well!!! Dr. Tisdell is the BEST!!! Eat, babies, eat!!!

Binford Family said...

I can't tell if they look alike?? What do you think? I can't wait to hold them!! So glad they are moving right along. I love them so much already.

Anonymous said...

Just ran across your blog... I had twin girls (7 weeks early) 9 weeks ago! Emily and Allie are so precious! CONGRATS! They look a lot alike to me! Big brother will have his hands full looking over them!

Joshjohnnaben said...

I think identical!!!!!!!!! I love these little girls!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texasholly said...

Oh they are super cute! Just found your blog through Feedjit.

Ivy Zamora said...

they are so sweet - I can't wait to meet them!

Heather said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I love them already!!

I think they look identical. When will y'all find out for sure?