Thursday, April 16, 2009

The twins are here!

Emily Grace and Allie Kathryn have finally arrived! They were born the morning of April 13 after a long night of labor. The Dr. had warned me that I would probably go into labor shortly after getting off bedrest, and she wasn't lying. Easter Sunday was such a wonderful, yet busy day. Landon had lots of eggs to be found and candy to be eaten, so we were on the go pretty much the whole day making sure we stopped to visit each family. Evidently, all of this running around put me into labor that evening. I started having contractions Sunday evening about 9ish, and they just continued to get worse throughout the night. And then....my water broke at about midnight. We called my mother-in-law to come over to stay with Landon who was sound asleep in his bed, and we headed to the hospital. I ended up laboring all night long, and having the girls the next morning. Surprisingly, the delivery was much easier this time around. I didn't have to get a c-section and the delivery was short and sweet (unlike Landon's delivery). 

Because the girls are a month early, they are spending some time in the NICU. Leaving them at the hospital while I am home is very hard, but I know they are very well taken care of. At first, they were having a bit of difficulty breathing, but that was resolved within the first day. They are both breathing perfectly now. They have run many tests (x-rays, MRI's, EKG's, and so on), and everything is perfect with both girls. We are now just waiting for their sucking reflex to fully kick in. Once they can drink 2 oz. of milk in 20 minutes, every 3 hours, for 24 hours straight...they can come home. The Dr. says that this can happen in just a few days or in several days. Chris and I go visit them 2-3 times a day for feedings and just to hold and love on them. I CAN NOT WAIT until they get to come home! 

Here are a few pictures of the luvbugs, including their sweet big brother. The first picture is of Landon when he came to visit me in the hospital. He still hasn't met his baby sisters because you must be over the age of 10 to go into the NICU. He keeps saying, "Where's my sisters?" Awww...I hope he gets to see them soon :) The second pic is Emily, and the last one is Allie.



10 comments:

The May Way said...

They are both very beautiful and he is still very handsome!! Congrats on the twins and a great delievery. That is a very cute "Big Brother" shirt... Where did you get it? Hope they make it home quickly and safely!! Congrats again.

Melody said...

They are gorgeous!! Congratulations, and I can't wait to meet them!

Joshjohnnaben said...

Finally you blog!! I love you and I love my new luvbugs!!!

Ivy Zamora said...

Yay! i am so glad that they are doing great and that you are doing great!! Post more pictures when you have time!! Love you!

Czarina said...

The look great! Congrats on the delivery and those sweet girls.

Can't wait to meet them!

Your family will be in my prayers!

Brittany said...

Yay! They look gorgeous. Very impressive delivery my dear. I am so happy for you and your sweet little family. I would love to stop by and see them when you get home and I can answer any twin managing questions that you might have. Enjoy!

Binford Family said...

They are beautiful and I can't wait to love on them... and Landon too. More pictures more pictures!!

Cara said...

sooo excited! I can't wait to hold them!!!! I can't believe that one day they will be Hayden's Maids of honor...you know...since Landon and Hayden will be getting married! I miss you and can't wait to come see you!!! Let me know when you are up for visitors!!!

Heather said...

The baby girls are absolutely beautiful!!! I can't wait to meet them!

Landon looked so proud in his "big brother" shirt! Love it!

We need to see LOTS more pictures of those baby girls!

I am so happy for you and Chris. Give all 3 kiddos a kiss from me!

Amanda said...

Ashley-
They are soooo cute! Where did the dark hair come from? How are you feeling? It sounds like everything went well. I can't wait to see pictures of the babies when they come home. Congratulations!